Sometimes recovery doesn’t just require less exercise. Occasionally it requires a complete, total break from it. As I’ve met more and more girls and women that have struggled with eating disorder or disordered eating patterns, I’ve noticed that there is something really crucial about either taking a complete break from exercise or greatly reducing your exercise load.
That’s not quite my story, but I’ve had to say, ‘No’ to a lot of distance running and heavy cardio as part of recovery. Honestly that’s not easy when you find exercise enjoyable. For me exercise was always fun; I didn’t find it a complete chore, but the amount I did was too taxing on my body.
Now, I wanted to bring you the story of one of my best food blogger friends who has incredibly encouraged me by her walk through recovery. She has been especially purusing recovery for hypothalamic amenorrhea , and she took the scary step of doing NO exercise for the past few months in order to help her body heal, recover, and feel safe enough to have a period.
On today’s podcast, Taylor and I talked about:
– Her complete break from exercise
– What Taylor has learned about how important it is to have a regular period
– What Taylor thinks about the term ‘clean eating.’
– How Taylor’s new found freedom with food has improved her relationships with other people
– Why exercise isn’t ‘healthy’ when it becomes an obsession
– The freedom of eating what your body wants without feeling like you ‘have to exercise.’
– Why Taylor is learning to intuitively eat along with making sure she eats enough
– Verses that encourage Taylor when she’s struggling with anxiety over food
Matthew 6:25, ““Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?”
1 Corinthians 10:31, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
Taylor has been one of the BIGGEST encouragements to me in how she’s walked recovery with such determination and faith in God’s healing power, in using our bodies for the glory of God, not making our bodies look a certain way for ‘our glory.’
I hope and pray this will be a huge life giving blessing listening to this podcast for you too.
Have you ever had to take a complete break from exercise?