Scary foods. For a long time I listened to diet culture and what they said about certain foods like carbs, white bread, white pasta, white sugar, or ice cream. And those foods became very scary to me. I didn’t even think about why these foods aren’t bad, that each one of them can produce different kinds of nourishment, mental, physical, emotional nourishment as Robyn often shares.
I was thinking this the other day, ‘Why do we view these foods as scary?’
It often starts with a headline that put that food in the headline and creates fear mongering around that food.
And we let that headline work its way into our heads and we start to believe it. We start to believe that full fat dairy is ‘bad for us’ even though God designed the cow and its milk and all the delicious fat that’s floating around in the milk.
So I thought I would bring a dear recovery friend onto the podcast to talk about scary foods and why they’re scary, overcoming them, talking yourself through buying these scary foods, so you can enjoy them again.
Kalee and I met on Instagram, and I was amazed to learn about her story as we talked:
– We talked about her story of multiple relapses and the moment 2 years ago when the Lord started her on the FULL healing journey
– The amazing day that Kalee began to pursue full on recovery
– Walking into the grocery store and buying those scary foods
– Why Diet Culture fuels beliefs about scary foods
– Finding the right influences especially health professionals on Instagram that don’t create fear around certain foods
– Why doing recovery alone is hard and a dietitian has been so helpful
– Why Recovery is SO Worth the Freedom and means enjoying food but not obsessing
– Talking yourself through buying those foods that are scary to you
– Our favorite types of peanut butter and Kalee’s favorite foods lately
(Also please always keep in mind that my heart here is to bless you all with others stories, to give God the glory, to taste and see that the Lord is good, but I am NOT a health professional. Don’t substitute what you read or listen to here for medical advice that you need.)
What were some of the foods that I found scary that I love now?
– Cheezits, Chips, Potato Chips, Tortilla Chips
– Dairy like Full Fat Yogurt, Yogurt with sugar, Ice Cream, shakes
– White Flour and white sugar baked goods
– Eating a Full meal at a restaurant by myself even if I was hungry for it
– Fro yo or an ice cream cone from a restaurant
– Cheese or nachos with lots of cheese/pizza/lasagna
But y’all, Kalee and I also talked about how LIFE is so much more than food; this Christian life is more than food and raiment, and God sooo abundantly and sufficiently provides for each one of those needs. He isn’t the One creating that worry, and there is so much freedom in taking that anxiety to Him and asking Him to replace it with gratefulness and thankfulness for that food.
i hope you are so blessed by the episode and encouraged to keep going!
What’s a food that you used to find as ‘scary?’ How did you overcome that fear?