I still have fear foods and fear food situations. I’m not going to lie to you and say that I’m completely comfortable around food. I am not GOOD at getting out of my comfort zone. I love to stay with my comfortable foods, my comfortable places, but I KNOW that faith is stepping out of the boat and trusting Jesus who is the master of the waves and the winds.
I look at those foods, and they are those winds and waves. I know that I can get out and start attacking them because Jesus can and does give me the strength to overcome. That’s why I decided to go into a short podcast with you all to share some of my strategies for attacking fear foods/fear food situations one by one and overcoming them.
Matthew 14: 28-33 says, ‘And Peter answered Him and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind wasboisterous,b] he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!” And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him,“O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. Then those who were in the boat came andc] worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.”’
There have been many many times when I got out of the boat and did the exact same thing Peter did. I didn’t believe God’s ability to keep me up, to keep me from falling into the waves, and I started to sink.
Every single time He plucks me up; I can not tell you how faithful He is.
In the episode I talked about:
– How to make a fear food situation an enjoyable one
– Why prayer is so important for recovery and overcoming fear
– What some of my fear foods are and some of the situations I’ve had lately for facing them
– Non Diet Dietitians that have encouraged me to attack these fear foods.
Robyn – The Real Life RD
Sarah – Bucket List Tummy
Megan – Run Whole Nutrition
Victoria – The Die Hard Foodie
– Why Attacking Fear Foods Has Helped Me Zoom Out and Remember It’s NOT about the food
– Why Food Should be Enjoyed and why different foods (for me have served different purposes)
Food fears are hard. I grew up without really having any food fears. Some days I wish I could go back to when I was little, when life seemed safer and easier, but I know that the older I get, the harder things get, the more I realize just how much I need to look at Jesus the Savior of my Soul, the Master of the Boat and know that He is with me.
Hard times. Fear. All these things point me to the desperate need for Jesus that I have. I can’t do this recovery without Him. He is my Leader in this, my Comfort, my God, my Lord!
And there is so much joy in:
– Having a donut with your sisters
– Going out to fro yo with a friend
– Enjoying icecream with someone in the middle of the day
– Crunching on some nachos and laughing with sisters
– Celebrating a completion of different challenges in life/school with your family over a good dinner at home or nachos out at a restaurant or a big take out pizza.
I’m not saying that it’s all about the food, but the food is such a gift. It’s a reminder of the GIFT. The Gift of God reconciling me to Him, so I could enjoy Him, enjoy His fullness in every way.
And if food is so good here? Can you imagine coming into the presence of Jesus in heaven and seeing the abundance, the fullness of joy that will be fulfilled then in glory? I can’t, but I know it’s going to be awesome.
Recovery has not been easy for me. I used to be a really over confident gal that had so much confidence about life and even uncertainty. But all these fears have pointed me back to Jesus, that He is the One I can have confidence in Him. I am small. But He is BIG. And He
is my Hope.
Overcoming fear foods: how are you attacking any of your fear foods?
Pin for Later: