Linking up with Claire and other lovely bloggers today, and I’m sharing, ‘Five Ways I Moved this Week’ instead of ‘Five Ways I Exercised in Order to be Fit.’
My blog is recovery focused. I want to encourage girls to take care of their bodies, find freedom in not obsessing over numbers, enjoy food, and make memories with their families. I want them to find joy in moving, but not exercising in order to burn calories in order to be skinny.
This has been one of the most difficult balances for me to strike. Last year, I had a foot injury for about 6-8 weeks, and I couldn’t run. I honestly thought that I would be so ‘out of shape’, that it would be really hard to get back into running, and at first, I did not like that injury … at all.
Yet, the injury grew on me in a figurative sense because it made me step back and enjoy moving for the sake of moving and being outside in God’s creation. I didn’t think about calories burnt as much, but I enjoyed each fun and memorable moment of moving I did with my family. I did some weightlifting, hiking, and other informal exercise, activities I wouldn’t have considered ‘exercise’ before this.
The word ‘exercise’ isn’t a helpful word for a girl or guy struggling with an eating disorder. I’m a much bigger fan of the term, ‘Move Happy.’ If exercise is a drag and you do it only because you MUST, and not because you love it, well, try something different.
The parallel reminds me of my relationship with Jesus Christ. I follow Jesus because I love Him. I don’t not steal and lie and cheat because I mustn’t but because I love Jesus, and I would never want to displease Him.
1 John 4:19, “We love him, because he first loved us.” I love this verse. <3
In light of that, I’ve been learning to move more because I love it. I don’t have to train for marathons all the time just because they’re tough. Honestly, my body doesn’t love marathons, and so, I don’t have plans on being a serial marathoner any time soon. I respect the people who are like Monica and she inspires me even to go out do my 3 miles runs. 😉
It’s not the distance that matters. It’s the heart behind the distance that matters.
So how did I move happy this week?
1. Walking Dogs. I walked so many dogs. I’m sure I’ve done 50+ walks. And I didn’t realize just how much fun it is to walk. It clears your mind, gets your legs moving, helps you take in all the sights and sounds, and gives your arm a workout especially when you’re trying to teach a dog not to pull.
2. I did a run with one of the huskies, and I saw this gorgeous stormy sky. The heavens do declare the glory of God.
3. I took this blurry picture in the gym while I was watching the Food Network… *drool*… and running. This is what the world likes like when you’re on a treadmill.
4. I walked around our property. I took pictures of flowers and of happy feet.
5. And I ran around the kitchen making food for my family and eating it with them. That is one of the best ways to move happy, in my opinion.
How do you move happy?
Do you like the outdoors?
The gym. Love it? Or hate it?