My heart is BRIMMING. I’m thankful that I’m not a number. It’s amazing that God created us to be so much more than a number. I am just so undeservedly blessed in every step of this life as a person, a human being, not just another number on a computer screen. That God would give me life, accept me in the beloved Lord Jesus, and bless me with being able to serve people is AWESOME. Even through the ups and downs, He is my strong tower and a refuge in trouble.
Let’s talk about cake for instance, as part of this recovery journey, part of the recovery victories. I’m thankful that I was able to enjoy a piece of cake last night at a friend’s farewell party, something that used to be a huge fear food. It’s not as much ‘a number of calories’ to me anymore, as a slice of God’s goodness. Recovery is WORTH every step, and each bite of that cake was delicious.
A praise psalm just seems so appropriate. Psalm 148 says, ‘Praise ye the Lord. Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise him in the heights. Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created. He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass. Praise the Lord from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps: Fire, and hail; snow, and vapours; stormy wind fulfilling his word; Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars: Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl: Kings of the earth, and all people; princes, and all judges of the earth: Both young men, and maidens; old men, and children: Let them praise the name of the Lord: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven. He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints; even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the Lord.’
I would also LOVE to hear from all of you. What are you thankful for right now at this point in your life? What is just making you brim over, even if life is hard sometimes?
I’ll share a brimming list of things I’m grateful for, but FIRST, I must make a confession…
I stepped on the scale last week, and it made me upset. I thought to myself, ‘ARGH, I haven’t maintained the weight I wanted to maintain.’
Then I thought. ‘Wait, but God’s will is perfect.’ I’ve been eating when I’m hungry and stopping when I’m not. I’ve been reminded that every bite of food comes from God. I haven’t been perfect, but God is perfect. And He wanted me to be this weight. He knows what my body and my soul and mind and spirit needs far more than I do.’
That led me to me writing this post on beauty yesterday. The response was AMAZING. I’m so grateful that God’s definition of beauty is FAR deeper than a number, and I AM NOT THAT NUMBER. I am His child, redeemed by His grace.
Ephesians 2:10-13, ‘For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.’
It wasn’t anything in me, and that’s what makes it unsearchably rich and awesome. It wasn’t that I was pretty, but it was that He chose me, because He wanted to. I will never understand it, but it is something for which I am so grateful.
What are some of the little things, the fun things that I’ve been enjoying lately that I want to share with you?
I also have some new peanut butter to share with you that I CAN NOT WAIT TO TRY OUT!
1. BIG BOWLS OF YOGURT, Bhappy Peanut Butter, and Walnuts that tide you over when you are rushing through a big day of prepping for a party.
2. Rice cakes that you can load up with any sort of peanut butter and enjoy while on the run… Are you getting a theme that I’ve been really busy lately?
3. I love canned soup. (BLUSH…) I’m not ashamed to admit that we had this delicious clam chowder from a can on Saturday night. It was SO good, warm, and creamy, and it was had in such good company.
4. The tremendous Bloggers Gonna Blog Insta-Challenge that is going on right now put on by the super cool bloggers, Georgie and Christina got me to make my rice cake creation a bit fancier today. The theme for today was ‘new to me.’ You need to check it out on Instagram. Look for any posts tagged, ‘bgbcommunity.’
5. I love spotty bananas. Who else is with me or am I weird? I used one in Michele’s DELICIOUS Strawberry Banana Coffee Cake, and I also have chowed down on a few.
6. Friends. Don’t you love that God gives us friends that we can laugh, cry, grow, and share our lives with every day? All of these people in this picture are just a FEW of the precious gifts that God has put into my life. Now, I can even say that there are so many blogger friends, way too many to mention here, that are more of those friends who encourage my growth in grace everyday.
7. Cute Chinese decorations that bring out my love for all things Asian. 🙂 I love Asian food (Chinese, Thai, Korean, Japanese, and the list goes on…., and I love the decorations just as much.)
8. Midnight snacks are becoming my new favorite. Tonight I enjoyed some of Wild Friend’s Chocolate Almond Butter, chocolate chips, and almonds on the THICKEST, best Greek yogurt.
Who else loves Chinese food just as much as I do? This was actually my mom’s plate, but mine looked very similar. Is that cheating?
I also wasn’t sure where to put all of the blogger links that I’ve been storing up in my blogger ‘link bank.’ Since I’m thankful for each one of these articles, I decided that I would share them with today’s thankful Tuesday post.
Recovery/Body Image Links
Gaining Weight – She captures the struggle.
Food Police – The most freeing take on LIBERTY in eating and food that I’ve ever read.
Hating Yourself Doesn’t Make Yourself Thin – It’s amazing how we can trick our minds into thinking that ‘hating ourselves’ will some how make us healthy.
My Struggle with Orthorexia – When a blogger that I really respect comes out and shares this story, I am just floored and blessed at the same time.
Clean Eating, What’s the Obsession? – Marina got it. She is always directing me back to balance.
The Spiritual Significance of Food, Body Image, and Healing – There is such a sweet savor of Christ in the way Megan writes this post. God is using her in a BIG way.
The Blogging Advice that Almost Made Me Quit Blogging – This was powerful. Why do I blog?
Choosing Blogs to Read – I’ve come to look up to Kate a great deal. This really prompted thought in my head on why I choose the blogs I choose to read.
Recipes To Try or That I Have Tried
Cinnamon Sugar Sweet Potato Fries – These need to go in a restaurant somewhere.
Strawberry Banana Coffee Cake (Paleo) – I made this for Sunday breakfast before church (on Saturday night). This was literally the best coffee cake I have ever eaten. You can make it paleo or gluten free. Michele makes the most delicious looking paleo treats.
What is your FAVORITE midnight snack?
How do you stay away from being defined by a number?
What are some of God’s gifts that you are thankful for right now?
Do you like Chinese food? What’s your favorite cuisine to eat?
Thank you Amanda for the letting me link up this post with Thursday’s ‘Thinking Out Loud’!