I thought this would be a fun way to start the New Year. Single and thriving? For a while last year I wondered if those two words could really go together when I had this STRONG, almost suffocating desire for marriage in my heart. But you see, it was all out of balance. My heart wasn’t content, and I was hungrily wanting a relationship, almost for the sake of a relationship.
But the lesson that was impressed on me over and over again was:
If you aren’t content now, will you be content just because you’re married?
And that’s a question I really want to delve into today on the podcast.
– How do you thrive as a single even if you have a strong desire for marriage?
– Thriving as a single even when most of your friends your age are married.
– Why Thriving doesn’t have to look like, ‘I’ll never get married so I’m just going to throw off any notion of marriage.’
– How do you rejoice with other couples who are getting engaged or in a relationship?
– How do you submit your desires to the Lord and pray faithfully about marriage?
– How do you stay present in the moment and ENJOY life as a single instead of begrudging every single moment?
– Some of my favorite songs/Scriptures that have kept my eyes focused on Christ during the whole process.
– Why keeping an eternal perspective gets my eyes off of thinking that marriage will satisfy my every longing
– Why watching GOOD marriages has been good for me (having struggled for a while with having a negative view of marriage
I love being single. I really do now. For a while last year I couldn’t say that. I found myself being jealous of other people in relationships. I found myself hungry for the attention of guys and not seeking hungrily after my Savior.
And then I came on verses like these:
2 Chronicles 7:14, ‘if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.’ (I had to humble myself especially about my envy of others and my chafing heart that wasn’t content with waiting on God’s timing)
Jeremiah 29:13, ‘You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’
And I found some another gem just now when searching ‘Seeking God’ in the Bible:
Psalm 9:10, ‘Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you’
(I spent a LOT of wasted time this past year chafing after and seeking after other things instead of the Lord, and it left me so dry and miserable)
One of my greatest fears this year was being a disappointment to my family and my friends if I didn’t get married. But the other thing that God has been doing in my heart has been delivering me from these many fears. But thriving can happen before you get married, if you’re not married, and even if God doesn’t mean for you to be married.
No, I’m not making a vow of singleness, because I want to be open to what God has for me. But I’m not in a rushhhh to get married, because there are so many gifts of flexibility and freedom and spontaneity. I don’t want it to be about me, but I want to treasure the gifts God has for me right now, getting to dig into knowing Him deeper, listening to His Word, and being filled with the LIGHT and JOY of Jesus Christ, the husband of the church, the most amazing Friend and Savior and Messiah.
Single: are you single?
How did you learn to thrive as a single?
Thriving as a single: what does that look like to you?
Pin this Podcast to share with others: